The great advantage of metal roofing is that you might never need to worry about the condition of your roof again. A metal roof lasts as long as you are likely to live, never mind how long you’re likely to own your current home. Someone who lives in a Charlotte or Concord, NC home for a long time is likely to replace an asphalt roof two, three or even four times, but a metal roof will never need replacement.
There are, however, steps you can take for added surety:
- Some metals are bad for each other. Don’t let copper come into contact with aluminum or galvanized steel, for instance. Your roofer can give you more information. It’s best to make sure the screws holding the roofing in place are made of the same metal as the roofing itself.
- Don’t let debris build up on your roof. In most cases, this won’t be a problem — fallen leaves will be washed off the smooth surface of the metal by the rain. But if debris does build up, use a long-handled brush to get rid of it. And if a tree limb is rubbing up against your roof, have it cut short.
- Clean your gutters regularly. Don’t let them become clogged — water pooling on metal roofing is no good for it.
- Inspect the seams and edges after storms and heavy snows. Look for signs the sealant is wearing off or that rust is starting to set in.
- If possible, don’t walk on your roof. You may leave unsightly scuff marks, or even dent it.
- If housepainters are working on your walls, don’t let them use paint sprayers anywhere near your roof. If paint gets on your roof, you might never be able to get it off.
Get metal roofing from Charlotte’s best contractors
The exact price of the roof depends on the metal and type of roofing. The least expensive metals for roofing are steel and aluminum. Galvanized steel can withstand wind and hail better, but aluminum is lighter and more rust-resistant. Copper is the most durable, but also (along with zinc) the most expensive. Ask your roofing contractor for a price list.
Advanced Roofing and Exteriors are Charlotte’s best roofing contractors, and they offer a 30 to 50 year warranty on their metal roofs. They have won the Angies List Super Service Award twice. This family-owned company is also an Owens Corning preferred contractor and a member of the Home Builders Association of Charlotte. These licensed general contractors will give you a free estimate, plan their timeline for work to suit your schedule and provide the materials themselves. If you are interested in a metal roof for a building in Charlotte or Concord, NC, call today.