For most homeowners, having a roof over their head is one of life’s essentials. A roof in good repair is not a matter of aesthetics and practicality, but is truly what keeps your family and possessions safe from rain, snow, rain and lightning. Think about it; how many times do you actually look up at your roof? If you are like most people, you run in and out of the house, running errands, shuttling kids back and forth and going about your daily life and only occasionally, if ever glance up at the roof. Performing regular inspections of your roof and then making small repairs when you find them can help prevent costly repairs later on. There is also another benefit to keeping your Charlotte and Concord NC roof in good condition: it helps with your home’s resale value. Advanced Roofing and Exteriors is the best residential roofer you can choose to inspect your roof.
Inspecting your roof’s interior
It is recommended that you inspect your roof at least two times a year, usually in the spring and fall. It is best to start inside the house and using a flashlight begin by checking the attic. While inspecting the attic, check for the following:
- Dark spots and trails.
- Sagging in the roof.
- Signs of leaking or water damage.
- Light coming in through the roof
Inspecting the exterior
While looking at the exterior of your roof, look for damaged flashing, curling, buckling, blistering, rotting or missing shingles. Also look for mold or algae growth which is common in the Charlotte and Concord NC region. Advanced Roofing and Exteriors, the residential roofer Charlotte residents know and trust recommends hiring a professional to actually climb up on the roof because it can be dangerous. When inspecting the exterior of your roof, check the following:
- Look for torn, cracked, bald or missing shingles.
- Check around chimneys, pipes, vents, and any other roof penetrations for wear or loose material.
- Visually inspect the roof for rot, moisture, algae and mold. Remember water can travel along the roof so wet spots may not be directly underneath the shingles. Bacteria, fungi, and mold will grow quickly, so it is a good idea to do a visual inspection frequently.
- Signs of advanced roof wear such as an excessive amount of shingle granules in the gutter.
- Ensure all kitchen, bath, and dryer vents are routed completely outside the home, not just into the attic.
- Closely examine all drainage ensuring downspouts and gutters are attached securely. All drains should be open, flowing well and free of debris.
When you need roof repair or replacement, call the best residential roofer Charlotte offers, Advanced Roofing and Exteriors.