The metal roofing system is a popular roofing choice in Charlotte. It is made up of metal pieces or tiles characterized by its high resistance, impermeability, and longevity. It is a component of the building envelope. Zinc, copper, and steel alloys are commonly used. Metal is often used as a roof covering in several alternative ways. The main forms are supported sheet-like panels, which can be flat or profiled, and either prefabricated or formed on site. But metals also can be wont to create shingles – formed into shapes almost like tiles, shakes, or slates.
Sheet metal roofing is usually joined by standing seams or rolled joints. These haven’t any exposed mechanical fasteners but use a clipped, or rolled design which creates a particular projecting seam. This is a really flexible system which will be pre-fabricated or formed on-site, and want to create straight or curved seams.
Advantages of metal roofing
- Weight: Metal roofs are usually light in weight. This creates little stress on the load-bearing roof support structures and can be installed on top of an existing roof. A lightweight roof is extremely useful for giant and or old structures because it helps to take care of the general structural integrity of the building.
- Environmentally friendly: Metal roofs can consist of a high percentage of recycled material and are 100% recyclable. It doesn’t get as hot as asphalt, a standard building material. It reflects heat far away from the building underneath in summertime.
- Life expectancy: Metal roofing provides increased wind resistance when compared to other roofing materials. This is because metal roofing systems use interlocking panels. Metal Roofing sheets also are immune to any quite attack by pests and insects.
- Durability: Metal roofs are specifically engineered to last decades longer than any other roofing material. Actually, many consumers ultimately plan to purchase a metal roof because it’ll be the last roof that they ever need to place on their home or business. Depending upon the sort of metal material used, most metal roofs last 60+ years with no signs of degradation or corrosion.
- Rain and snow shedding: Metal surfaces are hard and comparatively ‘slippery’, meaning they tend to shed rain and snow relatively easily.
Disadvantages of metal roofing
- Affordability: Metal roofs are often the maximum amount as two or 3 times costlier than other roofing materials. While the lifetime of a metal roof is far longer, investing in a metal roof only is sensible if you propose to remain in your home long enough to enjoy the cost benefits.
- Performance: If water accumulates anywhere on the roof because of poor-quality installation or repair, it can eventually cause serious damage. Low-grade metals can also be thinner gauges and less durable. Some metals rust in certain climates or dent more easily than others during hailstorms or installation.
- Expansion, contraction and fasteners: Metal building material assemblies that are attached as large panels are designed to expand and contract as they are warm and funky. However, both exposed and concealed fasteners have varying lifespans. Depending on the climate, neoprene washers and the screws used during installation may degrade and become dislodged over time.
Choosing metal roofing as the best roofing option in Charlotte NC
Although metal roofs have their disadvantages, they are still a very great roofing choice in Charlotte. Roofing contractors usually recommend metal roofs because of their amazing properties. If you are going for a roof that can last for many years and still add beauty to the exterior of your house, then you should consider metal roofs.
Contact a professional roofing contractor on the best metal roofing options (or other roofing materials) to consider for your house. Advanced Roofing and Exteriors offers commercial roofing and residential roofing services to Charlotte NC and surrounding areas.