March winds and April showers may bring forth beautiful May flowers, but they also bring not-so-beautiful roof damage to Charlotte and Concord, NC. No matter how quickly you want your roof repaired, do your homework on roofing contractors before doing business with them. There is a reason why unscrupulous roofers are called storm chasers — they show up after the storm, when damage is most likely and homeowners are most desperate.
Last year, the Better Business Bureau recorded more than five million inquiries nationwide about roofing contractors — more than any other type of business — and more than 6,400 complaints. As you can imagine, they have a lot of good advice to offer homeowners on the subject. Their most obvious recommendation, of course, is that you ask them for a list of accredited roofing companies in your area, or go on their Web site and look at the BBB rating of any contractor you’re considering. In addition, they recommend you do the following:
- Go to home shows for face-to-face meetings with contractors.
- Get bids from more than one roofing contractor. Ask for details on the work, materials, cost and terms of payment — but don’t just take the lowest bid.
- When talking to a contractor, ask for references, such as previous customers. This is a good way to weed out the real contractors from the storm chasers.
- Ask for recommendations from friends and family.
- Check every contractor for licenses, permits and insurance. Also, find out if they are a member of any professional association.
- Make payments by check or credit card, and never do business with a contractor who will only accept cash.
- Get everything in writing.
- After a storm, if you believe your roof has been damaged, ask your insurance agent for advice.
- If a contractor puts pressure on you, tries to scare you, demands all or most of the payment up front or says anything you know to be untrue, don’t hire them.
If your roof is damaged, an honest and professional roofing contractor can inspect it and let you know if it can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced. A contractor can also tell you the best material to use, based on how long you want the roof to last and how much you want to pay.
Charlotte’s best roofing contractors
Advanced Roofing and Exteriors are Charlotte’s best roofing contractors. They have won the Angie’s List Super Service Award twice. This family-owned company is also an Owens Corning preferred contractor and a member of the Home Builders Association of Charlotte. These licensed general contractors will give you a free estimate, plan their timeline for work to suit your schedule and provide the materials themselves. If you are looking for a roofing contractor in Charlotte or Concord, NC, call today.