Last year, the Better Business Bureau recorded more than five million inquiries about roofing contractors — more than any other type of business. They also recorded more than 6,400 complaints. If you are looking for a roofing contractor in Charlotte or Concord, NC, they recommend that you ask them for a list of accredited roofing contractors in the area. They have other suggestions as well:
- Meet roofing contractors face to face at home shows.
- When talking to a roofing contractor, ask for references, such as previous customers. This will help weed out the real roofing contractors from the storm chasers.
- Ask friends and family for recommendations.
- Check your roofing contractor for licenses, permits and insurance. Also, find out if they are a member of any professional association.
- If a roofing contractor doesn’t have a permanent place of business, don’t do business with them.
- If a roofing contractor claims to have roofing material left over from another job down the street, tell them they can keep it.
- After a storm, if you believe your roof has been damaged, ask your insurance agent for advice and hire someone you already know you can trust to inspect it. If a roofing contractor arrives at your door, tells you your home is unsafe and asks to inspect your roof, don’t let them.
- Get multiple bids — at least three or four, although six or seven is better. If one bid seems remarkably lower than the others, don’t choose it. Ask about the work, materials, cost and terms of payment. If in doubt, pick one of the ones in the middle of the price range.
- Make payments by check or credit card, and never do business with a contractor who will only accept cash.
- Get everything in writing, and read all the fine print before signing anything. Phrases to beware of include “cancellation fees” and “liquidation damages.” These are ways that some roofing contractors will try to get money out of you if you choose another contractor after the insurance claim has gone through.
- If a roofing contractor puts pressure on you, tries to scare you, demands all or most of the payment up front or says anything you know to be untrue, don’t hire them.
Charlotte’s best roofing contractor
Advanced Roofing and Exteriors are the best roofing contractor in Charlotte and Concord, NC. They have been in business for over twenty years and have won the Angie’s List Super Service Award twice. This family-owned company is also a member of the Home Builders Association of Charlotte and an Owens Corning preferred contractor. They will plan their work schedule to suit your needs, and provide all the roofing materials themselves. Call today for a free estimate.